How To Be a Successful Teaching Assistant at UC San Diego
Wednesday, October 1, 2014
9:30 am – 12:30 pm
Price Center West Ballroom
Make Up Session for the mandatory New Academic Student Employee (ASE) Orientation updated below!
The CTD is excited to announce our annual orientation for new teaching assistants: How To Be a Successful Teaching Assistant at UC San Diego!
At this orientation, new teaching assistants will be able to take advantage of workshops and presentations on how to prepare for being a teaching assistant, such as, the opportunity to have their questions answer by a panel of experienced TAs, workshops specific to their department/school, and meet the staff of the CTD.
Schedule of Events
9:15 – 9:30 am:
Registration – Price Center West Ballroom
9:30 am – 12:30 pm:
How To Be a Successful Teaching Assistant at UC San Diego – Price Center West Ballroom
Who should attend?
We have been informed that the following departments/schools will have their own TA orientation:
- Computer Science and Engineering (CSE)
- Structural Engineering
- Rady School of Management
- Biological Sciences
- Chemistry and Biochemistry
Teaching assistants in these departments/schools do not need to attend our orientation. However, they are still welcome to attend. We’re sure they’ll find it interesting.
Teaching assistants who are unsure whether their department/school has its own TA orientation should contact their Graduate Coordinator directly.
* * *
Make Up Session — NEW ACADEMIC STUDENT EMPLOYEE (ASE) ORIENTATION
Monday October 27, 2014
Center Hall room 109
Student Check In: 8:00-8:15 AM
UAW Presentation: 8:15-8:45 AM
This is a make-up session of the campus wide mandatory new employee orientation for employees within the ASE unit who are covered by the collective bargaining agreement between the University and the UAW. All new Associates In (In lieu of Teaching Assistant), Associates In (Teaching a Class), Teaching Assistants, Readers, and Tutors must attend the New Academic Student Employee (ASE) Orientation.
1. If students hired for Fall 2014 as new employees in ASE positions were unable to attend the session on October 1, 2014, then they should attend this make-up session. Those who may be hired for later quarters and are not employed for Fall 2014 cannot be paid to attend and should not attend. Hourly employees submit their time for compensation. Other employees have this time considered as part of their duties for the quarter.
2. Only employees new to the ASE unit and who have never been employed as an ASE by any department or program are required to attend.
3. During this orientation, the UAW will be provided 30-minutes for orientation purposes without the presence of University officials. This is in lieu of participation by the UAW in any department-wide or hiring unit-wide orientation.